Friday, August 28, 2020

Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole - Book Review

 

Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole
Publication date: April 29, 2008
My rating: 4 stars


I knew it!

knew the author was capable of writing a great romance if only she leaves sex out of the equation!

This book just proved it to me and here I am squealing at how amazing it was! Kresley Cole, it’s such a shame you don’t do it more often, because now I finally know you have it in you.

I always knew she was a good author, her writing was always addictive and her world-building was always exciting, however it kept being constantly ruined for me by:

1) Abusive alpha males.

2) INSTA LUST INSTA LUST INSTA LUST INSTA LUST all around, the characters literally having sexual encounters the second they meet each other, and constantly are either having sex or thinking about having sex with each other or doing sexual things to each other from literally the SECOND they meet.

3) They never even have meaningful conversations to get to know each other and, oh, I don’t know, FALL IN LOVE? At the end of the day I always feel like her characters fell in lust but never believe it when they’re supposedly in love considering every time there was a problem between them they just had sex or really they only just found each other sexually in love and not emotionally/mentally so.

And of course, it is often made even worse by characters keeping secrets from each other for 90% of the book so they literally really never get to know each other until the last minute.

This book though? Not at all like that!
Why, you ask?
Well, because the hero and heroine couldn’t touch each other AT ALL! Heroine is a ghost so… all they could do was… talk to each other. Look at me fangirling about how sexy it is for characters to get to know each other/have meaningful conversations/fall in love with each other’s personality first.

I also absolutely adored both of our protagonists, especially Neomi. I loved how crazy Conard was and how Neomi was balancing him, I loved how he was more on the villainous/crazy side because I love seeing those type of characters falling in love and oh it was glorious!

Honestly, KresleyCole, why can’t all your books be like this one? :’)


Beth Crowley - Perfect Doesn't Last


“I’d planned to kill them, too.” When Néomi glared up at him, he raised his chained hands.
“Past tense. See? Already I’m improving.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment