Friday, May 8, 2020

Deadly Little Scandals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - (short) Book Review


Deadly Little Scandals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publication date: November 5, 2019
My rating: 3 stars


This is the second book in the Debutantes doulogy.
For my review of the first book, click here

This was like watching a telenovela with secrets, betrayal, stolen identities, fake pregnancies, real pregnancies, who is whose real father/mother/sister/cousin, murder... and yet, despite all the ridiculousness of some events, it never actually feels ridiculous because it's quite thrilling and you can't stop reading 👀

And while I can't say this doulogy was my favorite of the author - I personally liked The Naturals and The Long Game more - it was still really good and much enjoyable!

My favorite part of this author's books is how she puts estranged family members and frenemies together and makes them a family.
Which is why, in this doulogy, I especially enjoyed the relationship between Sawyer & Lily and Sayer & Campbell.

So yeah, I will definitely check out more of Jennifer Lynn Barnes books! 


*Spoilers* 


I just loved that last scene with all four of them together.

Towards the end there I was totally losing track with who is related to who during all those revelations, and I was just like "Okay, I don't care, they're all best friends, they're already family" and that really was the most important part.

I do wish we had a bit more to the romance subplot between Sawyer and Nick. I think it was expertly done, but was kind of left "unfinished" even though their exchange at the end did make it seem they're going to get together, but the romantic in my just wanted more :')

At the same time though, I was aware I wasn't reading these books for the romance. Yes, I really liked the very slight subplot of romance, but I actually picked this doulogy up because I was growing tired of my usual genre of reading - romance and fantasy - as nothing seemed to excite me anymore.
I was really glad for the change in genre as it really helped me get excited over a book again.
 




"Just remember," she cautioned, "what we're about to tell you doesn't change who you are. It's just like musical chairs, but with parents."

No comments:

Post a Comment