Saturday, April 25, 2020

Storybound by Emily McKay - DNF Book Review


*I was provided by an ARC of this book by the publisher (Entangled Publishing) via Netgalley. This is my honest review*

Storybound by Emily McKay
Publication date: May 5, 2020
My rating: 1 star (DNF at 20%)

The reason I wanted to read this book was because the concept reminded me of a book I read – and really liked – a few years ago: The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepan.

So when I saw this one was, similarly, about a girl who realizes the world and characters from her favorite book are actually real, I knew I wanted to read it.

Unfortunately, nothing made sense in this book.
Never thought I'd ever say "the fantasy is this book didn't make sense" but eh... it really didn't.

Everything was happening all at once with no reasonable explanations about that fantasy world the protagonist found herself at. Oh, there were "explanations" alright, they just made zero sense. The book’s excuse for the random nonsense shoved at us was literally “it’s fantasy, so everything is possible.” I guess this would make more sense if the events that were happening weren't totally absurd.

Despite being curious at how Edie – the protagonist – and Kane, the love interest, are going to fall in love, I was just so baffled by the ridiculousness of characters' interactions and "plot" that I honestly couldn’t keep on reading. I started skimming, but even then all I wanted to do was put the book aside and pick up something else.

This is not the most terrible book I’ve read, because it didn't anger me or anything, it’s more on the “LOL, I can’t take this seriously, are you kidding me? ๐Ÿ˜‚” side of dislike, like reading a parody that isn't even funny.

Storybound isn’t well thought out, and I didn't like it, but some lines from the beginning of the book that I read were relatable to me, so I really wish the author all the best in her writing ๐Ÿงก

P.S: The cover is beautiful, though for some reason it looks suspiciously like this one: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/28484196-from-burning-ashes ๐Ÿ‘€ 





“Never force yourself to read a book that you do not enjoy. There are so many good books in the world that it is foolish to waste time on one that does not give you pleasure.” 
― Atwood H. Townsend, Good Reading


No comments:

Post a Comment