Friday, May 27, 2016

Books I know I need to read But for some reason are still gathering dust on my shelf


Do you know those books who just sit there, weather they're on your bookshelf or on your kindle, staring at you in silence? And you just know you need to read them, you want to read them, but for some unexplainable reason, you just can't bring yourself to pick them up and actually read them.

I thought, maybe, if I'll do a post about it and list all the books I need to read, my subconscious will get the hint and I'll actually pick those books up. Maybe by convincing you to read them, I'll convince myself too.
Or maybe, by the end of this post, some of you will shout at me to read some of those obviously amazing books.
It could be fun. Or it could be embarrassing.
Either way, It's worth a try, right? (:




                                            Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Yes, there is indeed at least one person (me!) who haven't read this book yet.
Shocking, I know. It seems like everything and everyone read this book.

I only know this about Red Queen: there is a girl named Mare who is a red, but has an ability no red should. So she's whisked away into court, where she finds herself in a love triangle. In the end, there is some plot twist everyone seemed to freak out about.
Yep, this is usually enough to sell me.
Then why, oh why, have I not picked this book up yet?
No idea.
Right now I'm chalking it up to the 'mysteries of the brain'. Along with all the other books I've been letting sit there and stare at me for ages.


                                          Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Mass 

Wait! Before you start screaming at me with: "Why the hell haven't you read this books yet?!", you have to know I have a good explanation!
...
No, sorry, I don't have a good explanation. *sigh*. You can shout at me now, but I AM going to read this series eventually. Promise.
Those are not the kind of books I want to miss.
Why haven't I read it yet?
'The mysteries on the brain' (a.k.a I have no idea). 


A Court Of Thrones And Roses by Sarah J. Mass

See section above.
Yeah... I really need to get to this book too.
I just don't know yet if I'll start with this one or the other one.
What do you say? 


Demons At Deadnight by A & E Kirk

This book has been staring at me accusingly for a while now.
I had it on my kindle for... forever, and still haven't read it.
And I read nothing but good things about this series. I heard it's fantastic. 


                                           Apprentice by Rachel E. Carter

So I've read the first book last year (The Black Mage: First Year), quite liked it, downloaded the second book to my kindle and... *crickets*. You can guess what happened next.
I liked the first book. It was a very enjoyable read. And I get the feeling it's the kind of series that gets even better.
And yet... 


Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

I've had Poison Princess for a while now on my kindle.
This books sounds super-interesting (post apocalyptic world and magical powers!) and has great ratings on goodreads.
And... like with every book in this post, I definitely need to read it. 



                                        The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Julie Kagawa has that way of bringing out your feels.
I read the Iron Fey series, so I know. Iron Fey was more than just amazing, it was beautiful. It was both fun and serious, sad and happy. I loved it. Completely and utterly. But it can leave an emotional toll on you. Not the tragic kind; It leaves you feeling like you were actually there with those characters, like you've actually done everything they've done and by the end you feel like your emotions just ran a marathon.
Only the greatest authors can get you to feel this way. And Julie Kagawa is one of them.
Which is why I still haven't picked up The Immortal Rules and The Lost Prince (her other series). I need to be in the right frame of mind for those two.  



Burned by Karen Marie Moning

Oh, I love this series.
I've read the first six books. The first 5 were AMAZING. Even though it had a rather closed ending (the 5th book), the author is continuing the series (It's still on-going). And so, after a while, I finally picked up the 6th book.
It was good. I actually quite liked it. I missed the previous protagonist (Mac) but I was ready to immerse myself into this one.
And then... I'm not sure exactly what happened (I get the feeling the fans roared), Karie Marie Moning decided to switch back to our protagonist of the first five books. Of course, I was thrilled. I was a bit confused but I was so glad to get back to our kick-ass-sarcastic protagonist I love so much.
Yeah... but something changed. I don't know what. I've read the first few chapters of Burned and... I could feel it - it wasn't the same. Even the writing style was different. Not to mention I was spoilered for something huge that happens in the book and... you know how spoilers can ruin it for you.
So, I put the book down.
But I can't get it out of my head. The series is still on-going. I just know I'll cave and try to read it again. I love those books too much to just forget about them.     




Chameleon by Kelly Oram

Have you read The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram?
Such an hilarious book. Fun, funny, good times.
Kelly Oram writes beautiful contemporary romance books. I think this is actually her first fantasy book series. Chameleon is a romance-fantasy trilogy. Each book follows a different character in this universe (they're all connected to each other).
I really loved The Avery Shaw Experiment. I should really pick this one up soon.
Along with all the other 15 (!) books in this post.  


                                          Shadow Study by Marie V. Snyder

When I heard Marie V. Snyder was making a continuation to the study trilogy, I was so happy!
The Study trilogy was the first thing I read in 2015. Needless to say, I loved it.
Night Study is already out, and Dawn Study is coming out next year... I really need to get back into it. 



An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Oh yes, yet another sensation I missed the train to.
Will I like it? Will I not like it?
I have no idea. All I know is that *a lot* of people seem to love it. I should at least give this one a try. 


                                       The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told she would kill her true love.

How could one not read this book? Just read this first line!
Well, I have a complicated relationship with Maggie Stievafter;
I didn't like the shiver trilogy but The Scorpio Races was very interesting - I enjoyed it. And I have read the first few chapters of The Raven Boys. And while it was intriguing, it was also very slow paced.
Thing is, I've been hearing nothing but *amazing* things about this series. It can get one wonder if one should pick this book up again. 

    

Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins 

I love Rachel Hawkins books. They are always so funny and the protagonists are fantastic.
I read (and absolutely loved) Hex Hall. I just flew through these books in no time.
And Rebel Belle? Darn, this book did not disappoint. It was funny, it was kick-ass, it was just plain awesome. So of course, when Miss Mayhem came out, I immediately ordered it.
So what happened?
(If this book is here, something obviously happened).
Goodreads happened.
Rebel Belle average score on goodreads? 3.92. Not surprising. Rachel books tend to get even more amazing after the first book. It was the case with Hex Hall, after all. But then I saw this:
Miss Mayhem average score on goodreads? 3.54.
Oh, and lets not forget the third book that came out last month. Care to guess the score? 3.48.
Ah... 
Can someone tell me what in the world happened?
Goodreads pretty much scared me out of reading this book. I enjoyed the first one so much, I'm afraid it'll ruin it for me.   
   


Every Breath by Ellie Marney

This is kind of a retelling of Sherlock Holmes. In modern day. Oh, and also YA.
If you don't know, I'm a fan of everything Sherlock Holmes. And Doctor who too, if we're at it. Time Travel and a genius detective... I love that stuff. So much.
So of course I had to get this one.
And yet... I still haven't picked it up.  


                                           Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

So... I heard a lot about Alexandra Bracken.
Especially about her Darkest Minds trilogy.
When I heard about this book and the words Time Travel and a treasure hunt across
time
 popped out, I knew I had to get it.
So I did.
And it has been sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust ever since.
The end.  



And Last but certainly not least: 


                                    The Heart Of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

Let me tell you, the hype around this trilogy is well deserved.

First time I picked The Kiss Of Deception, I put it back down.
Second time I picked this book, I couldn't stop reading it. My heart was pounding in my chest so hard toward the end, I thought I was going to explode before finishing it.
This book just keep you guessing. Trust me, you do not want to know much about it other than the synopsis before diving in. 


I know, I must read The Heart Of Betrayal. And soon. It's just that this book is really emotionally draining and that ending (!!!).
But the beauty of darkness is coming out very soon. I will do my best to read it before then. 



15 books. Wow, I can literally feel the pressure of reading them. I have to get to them ASAP. And I will. Hopefully.
Do you also have those books whom just sit there in accusing silence?
How many books (that are already out) do you have on your TBR list?
Any suggestions with which of those 15 books should I start with? (I'm pretty lost).
Do you also blame your inability to read these book on 'the mysteries of the brain'? 

Happens to the best of us... 



"You get busy planning you life, then it has the nerve to just go ahead and happen to you before you're ready." 
          -- Karen Marie Moning, The Fever series.  




8 comments:

  1. So the only one I've read from these is Raven Boys, so I urge you to give it a second chance :D If you don't like it this time around either, maybe it's time to give up on it though.
    I was actually thinking on writing a post on why this happens. It's got to do with the hype a lot of books bring with them, I think. You start to feel pressure and that ruins it, you get scared of not liking the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about it... in your head, the book is perfection. Everyone you know and don't know read it and loved it and you just want to love it so badly too. Which creates pressure, which brings to you not reading the book for a very long time afterwards.
      So you haven't read any of these books either? Wow, I am not alone it this then ^__^
      I see you've joined bloglovin! Great. I'm following you back (:

      Delete
  2. Ohh, I think we all have a pile of books that could fit into that category.
    For example, I still haven't read any of Sarah J. Maas books and I have four of them.
    It feels embarrassing, I'm not gonna lie.
    With The Kiss of Deception is the same story. I have the first book since the summer it came out, and I still haven't picked it up.
    I got to the point when I can't even complain if I get spoiled on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my shelf looks more or less the same way. I did read Passenger though and loved it! Because of book blogging I often don't have time for the books I purchase, which makes it difficult to squeeze them in. I hope you'll be able to read some of these as they all sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Suze! You're from withloveforbooks, right? I love your blog (:
      Oh yes, purchaing books and never reding them happens to me a lot, too.
      Welcome to my blog! I was glad to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Most of these books are on my tbr too. Someone recommended Sarah J Mass and I stumbled upon Every Breath while looking up random Sherlock facts. Do you watch BBC Sherlock? I was waiting for the fourth book in The Raven Cycle to release so I could read it all in one go ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can proudly say I read two of the books on my TBR and am currently reading a third :D
      Not Sarah J. Mass or Every Breath, though.
      I LOVE BBC Sherlock - Best. Show. Ever. Okay, maybe not *the* best, because there is also Doctor Who.
      The fourth book of The Raven Cycle is out ^^ . If you get to reading The Raven Boys, will you tell me what you think? So I'll know if I should grant it another chance (:

      Thank you so much Lakshmi! I was so happy to see all your comments on my blog ^___^

      Delete